Modesto Skylight Replacement & Repair
Wondering if it might be time to replace your skylight? Often times we’ll see homeowners attempting to salvage old skylights when we’re installing new roofs. However, if you find a roofer willing to install an old skylight when putting your new roof in, you should hire someone else.
Replacing your old skylights when replacing your roof will actually save you money in the long run. It’s the most convenient time to replace it, since the roof is being worked on, and it’s the safest since the skylight can be properly sealed.
However, if you’re not getting a new roof and your skylight is old, cracking, or leaking, you’ll definitely want to get it replaced as soon as possible.
Signs that it’s time to replace your skylight
- Age: Skylights have varying lifespans but if it’s 10 or more years old, it’s time to get it checked out by a pro.
- Yellow or discolored: The main reason for a skylight is to let the natural light fill the room. However, as they age they can discolor or get cloudy which only allows partial light in. This is also an indicator that your skylight has surpassed its lifespan and it’s time to get a new one.
- Cracks: If the glass on your skylight is cracking, it’s time to get a new one. Cracks can start small and grow rapidly. They can also let water in which can damage your roof.
- Leaks: If your skylight is leaking, this is a sign that it should be replaced immediately. Your skylight is part of your roof so water leaking from your skylight means there’s water getting into your roof. Over time, this attracts termites and rots your roof.
- Condensation: If you see condensation on or around your skylight, it means there’s a problem with the seal. This can compromise your roof as well so you’ll want to have it replaced.
When it’s time to replace your skylight
When you’ve decided that it’s time to replace your old skylight, call Roofing Modesto. We have a quick and easy process for removing the old skylight and putting in a new, beautiful one. Avoid waiting until your old skylight is getting mold, cracking, or leaking as this can cause rotting in your roof, attract termites, and cause issues that are much more expensive to fix.